To upgrade to this new version, you have to download the file (at the link above), and run it (you can't get this new upgrade through the automatic update process in AVG Free 9). You will have to chose either the 32bit version (Most of you running Windows XP or Vista will choose this), or the 64bit version (most of you running Windows 7, and some running Vista, and the odd few running Windows XP will choose this).
CNET - AVG banks on better performance
Once you have downloaded the new installation file (see above)
- Run the file
- Custom Install, and UNcheck the gadget installation (on the right side of the window - this doesn't appear in Windows XP, only for Vista and Windows 7), Next
- Uncheck Additional installed languages, (if you have MS Office installed, scroll to the bottom and check MS Office plugin), Next
- Uncheck Set Yahoo..., Uncheck Install the AVG Security Toolbar, Next
- yes to reboot
- (after reboot, it will finish installing)
- UNcheck I agree to participate ... and click Finish
- (then it will open and automatically begin updating)
- If, after a few minutes, you get an Analysis pop-up, you can ignore it. This will run the next time a scheduled scan runs.
- Things to check:
- Scan Options - Managed Scheduled Scans, Edit scan schedule.
- - Run at a specific time. Select a day of the week and time. Under Advanced Schedule, check Run on
- computer startup if ...
Click on Removable Device Scan.
Check off Enable Removable device scan, Automatically heal/remove infections, and move the slider under Adjust how quickly Scan completes all the way to the right.
Apply, OK and close the AVG window.
- To get rid of the advertisement (notification that drops down if you open up AVG)
- Go into Program Files\AVG\AVG10\
- Rename the following files by adding
- to the end of each file name (after whatever extension is there in the name)