When you run a Google Image Search and the results freeze for a number of seconds before Firefox responds, you may have a problem add-on installed.
First, try the search in any other browser. If it runs fine in the other browser, then it is something going on in Firefox.
Next, run Firefox in Safe Mode. To do this, in Firefox, click on Help, then Restart with Add-ons Disabled.
Now try the image search. If it runs fine, then one or more add-ons are the culprit.
Go to your Add-ons page in Firefox (Tools, Add-ons or Firefox button, Add-ons).
- Write down all the enabled add-ons
- Disable a bunch (make sure to mark down which ones you disabled) and restart Firefox
- Test an image search. If it doesn't work, re-enable the ones you disabled before and disable a bunch more (marking those ones down) and restart and test again. Repeat this process until you get the image search working
- Once the image search is working, you will know that the problem add-on is in the most recent bunch you disabled.
- Re-enable one add on at a time, restart Firefox and test until the search freezes again. This way you will find which add-on is causing the problem
- Once you find out which add-on is causing the problem, disable it and re-enable the others you want enabled, restart Firefox and do a final image search test. If all is working, remove the problem add-on.
I recently had this problem and found that Linkification was causing the problem, so I removed it and all was well again. If you read up on this add-on at the link, it may seem obvious why this would cause a problem. It was a useful but not necessary add-on.